Holiday Check List

Your Group Insurance Scheme includes comprehensive world wide travel insurance cover provided by Millstream Underwriting Ltd., and there is therefore no need to take out separate insurance cover at the time of booking your holiday or prior to travelling.

The policy document is available HERE

It is very important that your holiday insurance provides adequate cover for your trip. The below is a guide to some of the more common questions from police officers, but for full details of the cover, or if there is anything about which you are unsure, you should always consult the full policy document or contact the Police Federation Office for further guidance.

Please click on the FAQ boxes below to reveal answers

Making a claim

Since September 2011 we have processed hundreds of claims and paid out hundreds of thousands of  pounds  in travel claims made by Thames Valley Police Officers. 

In the event that you do need to claim please be aware that claims should generally be submitted within 60 days from the date of return and that original receipts and /or proof of ownership must be supplied. All material facts arising from the claim must have been disclosed.

Valuables and Personal Effects

A travel insurance policy is not designed to provide full cover for valuables and personal effects and there are maximum limits for any claim.

Valuables and personal effects are most effectively covered through your Home Contents Insurance and you should ensure that you have appropriate “all risks” cover prior to travelling

Am I covered for Sports and Activities?

Whilst you are covered for a wide range of sporting activities there are exclusions for participation in high risk sports and leisure activities. There is no cover when participating in professional or organised sports, racing speed or endurance tests and dangerous pursuits. Prior to taking part in any sporting activity whilst on holiday you should ensure you are aware of any exclusion to the policy cover.

Emergency Medical Assistance

Getting treatment abroad in the event of a medical emergency can be expensive. Whilst you have cover up to £5,000,000 for medical emergencies that may occur whilst travelling abroad please note this is not a private medical health insurance policy. Private treatment will only be paid where there is no appropriate reciprocal health treatment in existence. For trips in the EU you should ensure that you have the new European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). To obtain the card ring 0845 606 2030, pick up an application form from the post office or apply on line at WWW.EHIC.ORG.UK . In the event of a medical emergency whilst abroad the medical assistance service must be notified immediately on +44(0)20 7183 3751.

Medical Conditions

There are some restrictions on pre-existing medical conditions. The policy will not cover you if any of the following applies to you, a travelling companion, or someone on who your trip depends, whether they are travelling with you or not.

·         You/they were aware of any reason why the trip could be cancelled or curtailed.

·         You/they were travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner, or in order to get medical treatment abroad.

·         You/they have been diagnosed as having a terminal illness.

If you are unsure please notify Philip Williams & Co immediately on 01925 604421

What is covered?

You are covered for holiday and leisure trips with a maximum duration of up to 31 days. For trips with a scheduled duration of more than 31 days you must arrange an extension of the cover which will attract an additional premium.


Whilst you have worldwide cover you will not be covered if you choose to travel to a specific country or region against the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Benefits & Services

Group Insurance Scheme

Welfare Support Programme

Benevolent Fund

Flint House


Federation House


Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority

Death Benefit Fund


Days Out & Leisure

Mobile Phones

Debt Advice

Housing Options





Police Dependents Trust

Private Healthcare

Sport & Leisure

Welfare & Holiday Home